Top Rank has added another blue-chip prospect to their deep and talented stable of young boxers. It was formally announced on Wednesday that Emiliano Vargas -- the youngest son of former junior middleweight champion, Fernando -- has inked a multi-year promotional pact with the company.
At just 18 years old, insiders believe he not only has a high ceiling as a fighter, but also a certain star quality.
“I can’t wait to fight. Like my dad says, ‘El legado Vargas continúa.’ The legacy is everything, but at the same time, I am here to write my own story and make my family proud. This is my legacy as much as my dad’s," said Emiliano, who made his pro debut on May 14, as he stopped Mark Salgado at the Forum in Los Angeles.
"This is something that is so deeply embedded in my family and as a Mexican. I want to be a Fernando Vargas, a Julio Cesar Chavez. There is something so beautiful about a whole country having your back. I’m proud of my roots. I can’t wait to perform and have the fans embrace me just like they embraced my dad," continued Vargas, who will make his Top Rank debut on their November 12 card in Las Vegas that is headlined by Janibek Alimkhanuly and Seniesa Estrada.
Vargas, along with his two brother Amado and Fernando Jr, had signed a deal with Triller earlier this year, that was breached. Which meant that Emiliano was back on the open market.
Jose De La Cruz, who manages the Vargas brothers alongside Egis Klimas, tells SNAC.com, "We really like the vision of Top Rank. They have a real infrastructure, and a plan for Emiliano. These are true professionals. Nobody is as good at what they do as this company. We had a very productive meeting with Bob Arum and his staff. Emiliano is very excited to get his career going again."
Top Rank which already has the likes of Keyshawn Davis, Bruce Carrington, Abdullah Mason, Tiger Johnson, Jared Anderson, Troy Isley and Raymond Muratalla on their roster, made the decision to add Vargas based on his long-term upside.
"That is something that we deal with everyday, we only have a certain number of spots, and so you just can't sign everybody. You have to be very selective," explained Bob Arum, the founder of Top Rank. "We're going to be talking with ESPN to see how we can expand this, but that's not until next year."
When asked about what he liked about Vargas, Arum stated, "First of all, he's a very charming kid, and secondly, everybody is agog at what he's showing in the gym. He's got the personality, and it looks like he's got the chops, he's got the pedigree.
"So I think all told, he's going to be a huge star."
The work now begins for Vargas, and time is on his side. In the past, his father -- who at age 21 was clashing with the likes of Winky Wright, Ike Quartey and Felix Trinidad -- has made it clear that his sons careers will be handled much differently than his. The likes of Brad Goodman and Bruce Trampler, will be in charge of that.
“It’s about how I perform, but Top Rank will help me get to that next level," said Emiliano.
A few days before Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin engaged in their third and final encounter in Las Vegas back in mid-September, Vargas had a chance to spar with four-division champion, Jorge Linares, at the FightStars Gym.
Quite frankly, it was the best boxing I saw that week,
The speed and quickness of both boxers was striking, and it was a fast-paced chess match between an old master of the game, and a talented young apprentice. It was world-class stuff. The talent of Vargas was very evident, and it was clear that Linares still has something left in the tank.
Even after losing to Zaur Abdullaev (getting stopped in the 12th round while ahead on two cards), Linares still very much intends to continue his career at age 37. He was scheduled to fight in the fall in a card in Russia, but those plans have fallen through.
"Right now, we don't have a date," explained De La Cruz, who manages Linares. "Because of the situation in Russia, that particular card was canceled. So we are now in the process of getting Jorge another fight. We believe Jorge has one last championship run left in him."
If Vasyl Lomachenko beats Jamaine Ortiz next week at the Theater of MSG, will that set the stage for a showdown versus lightweight champion, Devin Haney, who defeated George Kambosos last weekend in his return trip 'Down Under'?
"Well, lets see, lets see how Lomachenko looks," answered Arum. "Let's see how competitive that fight is, and certainly if Lomachenko looks really good, and it's competitive, then certainly we're going to make that fight. It's a big fight.
Mikey Williams/Top Rank
But he warned,"I've learned being in boxing, you don't put your cart in front of the horse."
As of this moment, it's not clear if Haney is willing and able to go through the process of making 135 one more time.
The other two Vargas brothers will be on the Regis Prograis-Jose Zepeda undercard on November 26 in Carson, CA....Featherweight contender, Mauricio 'Mr Mayhem' Lara headlines a card on DAZN from Mexico on Saturday. He faces Jose Sanmartin...Speaking of that Prograis-Zepeda card, junior middleweight hopeful, Charles Conwell, has stated that he is also on that bill....Zach Parker and John Ryder are set to meet up on November 26 for the vacant WBO super middleweight title....Is this upcoming game versus the Oregon Ducks the biggest game for the UCLA football program in about 25 years?....I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org..