Original Article: Boxing Scene
By Radio Rahim
Sunday, April 28, 2019
Eddie Hearn pulled off a big move last week when he signed up rising lightweight Devin Haney (21-0, 13 KOs) to a promotional agreement.
Haney will make his Matchroom debut on May 25th as part of the undercard to Oleksandr Usyk vs. Carlos Takam.
"Everyone wanted Devin Haney, from advisers, to managers, to promoters, that was a big coup for us. I'm glad Devin saw the vision with us. He's a new wave fighter, he's a new era fighter. He loves the idea of the streaming platform. He understands DAZN, he understands the model. He understands the business, so understands that it was good for him. Signing him was a big win for us. We're going to be pushing Devin Haney's profile to make him a star," Hearn said.
Haney is highly ranked by the WBC at 135-pounds.
Mikey Garcia recently vacated his WBC lightweight strap - and the mandatory challenger is Olympic gold medal winner Luke Campbell.
Campbell, who is also promoted by Hearn, is ready to fight for the belt.
The World Boxing Council would likely order Campbell vs. Zaur Abullaev, who won't be available due to Ramadan. So if the sanctioning body goes down the rankings, Haney would be in line to fight for the belt.
"If the WBC goes down their rankings, which is what happens when there is a vacant title, it would be Luke Campbell against Abdullaev. Abdullaev is observing Ramadan, he wont be available until September - so it should be Luke Campbell against Devin Haney," Hearn said.
There is talk that the WBC would do a controversial move of sanctioning a fight between WBA, IBF champion Vasiliy Lomachenko and Campbell for the vacant WBC title - which Hearn does not agree with.
"There is talk of Lomachenko, but I don't think the WBC should order a fight between Luke Campbell and Lomachenko. They should order a fight between the two available fighters in the rankings, and that would be Campbell and Haney right now," Hearn said.